Total Pageviews

Monday, November 7, 2011

Relearning To Walk

Yes, we need a bigger hallway!
As I mentioned in my last post, Bob is up to a new record of 31 times walking the rail. This translates to about 186 feet of stepping, plus 31 times pulling himself up and sitting back down. He has more than doubled his record of 15 times set in September. I am so proud of him!

He still needs to pull himself up on the rail and still leans heavily against it (as you can see) but he is taking bigger and quicker steps and is gaining confidence.

My mom took this picture of us, that's me holding onto his gait belt, strictly for safety reasons. With my other hand, I pull the wheelchair behind him so he can sit down quickly if he needs to, or I can pull him backward by the belt into the wheelchair if he starts to slide...

The day of this photo, Bob had a difficult start on the rail, then we all looked down and realized why.... I had put his shoes on the wrong feet! Lord almighty--so much for impressing my folks with my therapy skills...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi!Way to go Bob!!! Stan and I are very proud of you too. I just had him wheel up to my laptop to read and see you at your rails, he thinks you look like you're working real hard. I told him you always have been and maybe he needs to work as hard as you! Ha! Ha!

Diane you made me laugh out loud about the shoes. I can't count how many bloopers I've made helping Stan dress. We usually just get a good chuckle out of it and keep going. Kind of like we all have been doing these days! LOL Patricia

Linda said...

That's kind of a new take on right left confusion! lol I love the picture.

Good for you Bob! Keep it up.. you are running your own marathon.

Sal said...

Now I don't feel so bad about making mistakes. Thanks for the chuckle Diane.

Way to go BOB.. Keep up the great job.

You too Diane. Great therapist.

Jenn said...

YOu crack me up! Perhaps labeling "left" and "right" may help? lololol - I can see the smirk on Bob's face when he realized he was in backwards land! lololololol!!!

I'm super excited at Bob's progress! And you ARE incredible, woman!!!!!! :)

Nikki said...

Haha! I've done things like that to the kids at work- accidentally putting things on them backwards and such.

Anonymous said...

GREAT WORK BOB....and so much successful work for you too Diane, even with a simple shoe mistake. You both are an inspiration to all that follow along with your struggles and successes. Hugs for both of you, (caring1) Dan

Jen said...

This is the first blog I've come across written by someone in MY shoes - the wife of a stroke survivor! My husband had a stroke in January of this year, so we aren't very far into his recovery journey. It will be nice to read your blog because I'm sure you and I can very much relate to one another!