Total Pageviews

Sunday, January 15, 2012

Portrait of Diane

Here's a new drawing from my left-handed, formerly right-handed artist. He calls this one (yep, you read that title right) "Portrait of Diane":

Portrait of Diane
by
Bob 

(click to enlarge)

Well, actually he did not quite call it that. When I asked him what he was drawing, he told me "a picture" and when I said, "a picture of what?" he gave me a sly sideways glance and pointed his thumb at me.... So I said, "a picture of me?" and he said "yes."

He has been working on this picture all week and finally, yesterday, pronounced it "done." And I looked at it and asked, "this is still a picture of me?" and he replied "yes."

So I'm thinking, jeepers. This is how he sees me? It looks like some sort of octopus/alien monster with all these arm-things, but maybe that's because I'm always whirling through the house trying to do 10 things at once.... You know, I always wanted to be "an artist's muse", but this? Come on. Then, I think, maybe he's more brain damaged than I thought...

But the more I look at it, the more I am drawn to the "eye" dead in the middle of the drawing. Then, suddenly, I see it: a face! A woman's profile in the middle of the drawing. I didn't see it at first as you have to look at those "white spaces". Sort of like an optical illusion...

The face
So I take the drawing to Bob and I say, "You know, there's actually what looks like face in this drawing. Did you mean to do that?"

And he says, "Well, duh."

9 comments:

Jenn said...

Well whadda ya know. Looks like there's a modern day Picasso in our midst!

Jenn said...

Does Bob have colored pencils/pens?

Grace Carpenter said...

When I read your post I couldn't stop laughing!

I'm still not sure I can see the face. Somewhere I did see a electric drill, though.

Diane said...

Jenn, my mom and dad bought Bob a whole set of colored artist pencils for Christmas, but Bob insists on only using the black one!

Anonymous said...

I see a whole lot of tentacles projecting every which way, kinda like you probably feel most days D. That eye looks a little like how you probably looked at him after the poop vs. urinal incident. Tee hee ! Love, Patricia

Rebecca Dutton said...

You know the jugglers who keep plates spinning on sticks by running back and forth? It looks like Bob captured part of your essence.

Barb Polan said...

I'm going with the Picasso analogy - that's exactly what I thought of when I saw "Portrait of Diane." Dissembled down to components and recorded one by one.

Janet said...

Hi -- Just discovered your blog recently. You are an amazing woman! My husband, too, suffered a massive left-hemisphere stroke, 1-1/2 years ago. He was 50 years old when it happened.

Nikki said...

That's pretty cool! I can't believe he can do all that detail and shading!