Total Pageviews

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

The Broken Down Car Blues...

I tell you, as if life isn't hard enough already, then The Green Machine takes a dump.

I have been without wheels for an entire week now. Running out of everything. Hiking to the grocery store, the library, the pharmacy, the overpriced convenience mart. Hauling back what I can carry, which isn't much. Meanwhile, Bubba (our mechanic) works on the car finding more and more things wrong with it and having to order parts from Timbuktu...

I guess, what do you expect when you drive a 1973 Dart Swinger? Especially one with a V-8 engine, which is pretty much a rarity for that model car.

I suppose it would be wiser to have a more conventional car... But The Green Machine is Bob's baby. She's like family. So I got to keep her running. And right now, she's all I got. Even if she is stuck over at Bubba's garage waiting for parts...

Everyone should be so blessed to have a car mechanic like Bubba. I tell you, he's a sweetheart. And a miracle worker. If anyone can get The Green Machine going, Bubba can. And not only that, he's honest and always gives me a discount. Right now, he's trying to fit a radiator for a Dodge Charger into The Green Machine and to do that, he's got to chop it down and weld it. This because there doesn't seem to be a single Swinger V-8 radiator in the entire US or Canada available unless you buy one from one of those custom collector car places which would cost an arm and a leg. Like I told you, he's a miracle worker and always goes the extra mile.

Bubba and I have spent a lot of time of the phone this past week with his daily good news/bad news reports. The other day when he called, I was busy with Bob so told him to call me back in five minutes.

Now I never answer the phone at The Pink House, letting the answering machine pick up, a sort of poor man's caller ID--if you will, as we have way too many darn creditors hassling us day and night. But that day, exactly five minutes later, the phone rings, so I'm thinking it's Bubba calling back and I pick up the phone. The conversation went like this:

Me:  Hey, Bubba!

...dead silence on the line...

Me:  Bubba?

An unfamiliar woman's voice:  Hello?

Me: (thinking) Oh shit, a creditor!!!

Woman's voice:  Do you speak English? 

Me:  Bubba! Bubba! Bubba!

Click.

Well, that's one way to get rid of a creditor. Ha! Sometimes, you just have to laugh. Or else you're going to cry.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just loved the story and had to repeat it to Karen and her therapist who is working with her right now. We all had a good laugh at your expense. I can understand the difficulty in trying to find parts for a car that is 39 yrs. old. I don't know about parts that old, but try JC Whitney out of Chicago, though Bubba probably already knows of them. Good luck, and have a great week. Hugs, Dan

Linda said...

My Bob is a mechanic, and a good one. You know about the shoe makers kids not having shoes? I take our cars to Paul, my version of Bubba.

Karen Anne said...

I'm not sure, but I think if you tell a creditor not to phone you they are legally required to not do so, or at least there are limits on when they can call:

http://www.ehow.com/how_2002286_debt-collectors-calls.html

Rebecca Dutton said...

Cab companies bought the Dodge Dart because it was so reliable. I used to own a Dodge Dart in the 70's. That was 5 cars ago. I can't believe the Green Machine is still running.

Helen said...

If buying parts from a custom car collector would cost an arm and a leg, what could you get if you sold your entire car? Putting sentiment aside, could you gain enough to get a more current, reliable car? Just a thought.

Anonymous said...

That's hilarious D.! You should do stand up comedy. I like how quick you thought on your feet, not sure I would have. Great job!!!!!
Patricia

Anonymous said...

Cute story Buba sounds like a miracle worker....If you need a ride somewhere let me know...
Alice

Matha Trotter said...

Heheh. You're conversation with the creditor made me laugh. :) The creditor might've thought that you were a baby saying goodbye. Heheh. Anyway, how’s Bob's car, "The Green Machine?" Is it still in good condition after it was repaired by Bubba, or was it even fixed by Bubba?

Nicole said...

That's pretty hilarious! If I were the woman on the phone, I would've mistaken you for a baby playing with the phone. Heheh. You're such a good actress, though. You have a future in that field. :) Well, enough of that. How's the car by now? Has it been finally repaired by Bubba?

Nicole Vickers

Stelle Courney said...

Haha! I just learned a technique to get away from a creditor on the phone. :) Kidding aside, it’s great that you have Bubba to rely on to fix your vehicle. However, if the costs of the repairs start to outweigh the benefits of having a vehicle, why don’t you consider buying a new car? =)

Nettie Christensen said...

After reading your story, I suggest that you let go of and replace your Green Machine with a newer and more functional vehicle. I think you can still trade it for a good vehicle since Bubba seems to be really doing well in maintaining it. However, if your repair and maintenance costs are accumulating, you’ll end up spending more over your current car, compared to buying a better one. So, I think you should consider the idea of trading it in for a more reliable vehicle.

Leisa Dreps said...

“Everyone should be so blessed to have a car mechanic like Bubba.”--- Indeed! Actually I befriended a car mechanic back then. Haha! This is to ensure that he’ll be willing to fix whatever problem my car would have. Seriously though, we really became friends after. He and my brother are great buddies as well! ;)

Diane said...

Never fear! The Green Machine is back on the road!