Total Pageviews

Monday, February 26, 2018

What the -- ???

Once upon a time, before Bob's stroke, Bob bought me a vintage Kit Cat Clock, which hung in our kitchen for years. Then, after his stroke, it stopped working. Dead....

At that time, living off $1200/month (social security) and with all his medical expenses, mortgage payment of $675, etc. -- not much money to spare. So I put the clock in a box. My mother, (love ya, mom) bought me a reproduction battery operated Kit Cat Clock, which shortly after Bob's death also "died".

After searching around, I found a guy (on e-bay) who repairs vintage Kit Cat Clocks and sent our original one to him for repair. I was worried sick that it might a) get lost, or b) be unable to repair. But he was able to repair it and I got it back safely and was so excited I took a video of it to share with everyone!




But in the video -- which I took with my camera -- it looks like the clock is hanging on a wooden plank wall.... huh? We do not have a wooden panel wall -- so how on earth ----?

So I retook a video today (same place) in our kitchen just to see what would come up: and here it is, exactly where it hangs in our kitchen:

Funny, Bob loved this clock and could see it from his hospital bed. When the repro stopped working, he would point at it and say bink-bink-bink! meaning the tail wasn't wagging and eyes weren't rolling...

So for many reasons, I wanted the old cat clock restored. And must say the repair was beautifully done, clock now working perfectly, as you can see -- and you can see it from Bob's "point of view" where his hospital bed was... but what the heck? why is the first video looking like it's hanging on a wood panel wall?

The second video is taken in the same place, but shows its real home.

Anyway -- strange things happen....but I am glad to have this present from Bob to me restored. Brings me great joy to watch it!  Sort of a Valentine's day present from him this year --- last year it was ducks! But haven't seen Louise (or any ducks) this year.....




7 comments:

Anonymous said...

As you know my old friend I am a new widow. Hubby passed almost 5 months ago. I have experienced radios turning on and off with songs we loved. I have flameless candals coming on by themselves. And when I have very sad days the music at the random grocery stores I am at play his favorite songs. There are more. I have now embraced his every attempt to reach me and love it. We were married 44 years and I held him as he took his last breath. I know it’s him loving me from beyond the grave. What a wonderful feeling to know your Bob is loving you too.

Pat

Unknown said...

About the wood panel wall..... I'm not sure how you communicated with the man who did the repair, but might he have sent you a video showing the clock working after his repairs, perhaps it was included with an email and you overlooked the video, but somehow downloaded it to your phone. Perhaps that wall is HIS wall, rather than yours? Just a guess on my part, but it would make sense. It looks like Knotty Pine walls, and you said you don't have a wall that looks like that in your home, so..... my guess it's from the man (on e-bay) who did the repairs. Only explanation I can come up with.... good luck, glad it's fixed and all is well once again. God's blessings to you. :-)

Diane said...

Vindi -- no this pic was on my camera not a cell phone, not an email, just picture on my cheap Polaroid....

Anonymous said...

Sure is strange, I'm glad you have your clock working back. How is your book coming on?
Yadira

Diane said...

Book is up to Chapter 13 --- going slow and writing sometimes painful. And of course, it is rough, rough, rough draft! Thanks for asking.

I will try to update this blog soon.

Anonymous said...

Diane, I stumbled across your blog a month ago or so while googling "caregiver stress". I went back to the beginning of your blog and read Every. Single. Post. Your journey, raw truth, and vulnerability resonated with me.

See, my husband had a stroke a little over 3 months ago. He too had throat cancer (non-smoker) earlier in his life. The intense radiation he endured had caused the stenosis of the left carotid. During the surgery to clear his 95% blocked artery, he suffered a stroke. My world was forever changed. My husband was very fortunate to have doctors that reacted quickly and after almost 4 weeks in ICU then acute rehab, he was able to come home to me and our two small children (ages 4yr and 1yr). He continues with outpatient rehab everyday, five days a week and is showing progress.

We have had good days and bad days. Days where my "bitch switch" flips - like really flips and then I feel like a total shithead afterwards. Days where I wonder how I am going to afford daycare, mortgage, feed two small mouths, and pay bills on my salary alone since we have yet to receive any disability benefits. Days where I see a glimmer of the man I knew pre-stoke. And the many days I cry because of how deeply I miss having a conversation with my husband.

Your blog gave me peace, knowing I'm not alone in these emotions. I just wanted to write to say: Thank You. Thank you for being so open and real.

Susie

Diane said...

Susie -- hang in there. I know how hard it to be a caregiver but happy to know your hubby is showing progress. Sending you my love and hugs and white light. Thank you for touching my heart with your comment, you don't know how much that means to me and remember -- you are not alone. Take care