Total Pageviews

Wednesday, August 8, 2018

Phone messages from the dead....

OK, so today Kona and I were in the pool and when we came in, I noticed my answering machine blinking  - so after I showered, dried off, etc. I pushed the button on the answering machine to get my messages.

My phone talks (ha! new technology) and said "You have 2 new messages." and I hit play, and got one message from Walgreens (automated) that my prescription was ready for pick up, and then a second message that went like this:  (2nd Message, 2:55 pm)

"Hey Di! It's, (pause) Arline Rogers. Talk to you later." Click.

Then a 3rd message from my mom, saying "call us back."

OK -- back up here, that's 3 messages not two and --- Arline Rogers? That is my dear friend, Chris,  who is dead -- that's her legal name spelled "Arline" pronounced : Arleen, she always hated it and went by Chris, in fact few people knew her real legal name. The message pronounced it "Arlean" as it was pronounced. Then...

No one calls me "Di" well hardly anyone, some people started calling me "Di" after Lady Di -- Princess Diana -- but everyone knows I hate it -- and Chris would tease me with a "Hey Di!" all the time cause she knew it got my goat so to speak....

I go back and listen again,  still to that same message "Hey Di!.. It's Arline Rogers. Talk to you later."  Listened to it six, seven, eight + times --- still the same message, though the voice is sort of soft and hard to hear.  I had to put my ear on the phone to hear it clearly...

I have caller ID and it tells me who called and what time and I scroll through that, and all I have for today is my mother and Walgreens, and nothing at 2:55 p.m. when this call came in from Chris or "Arline"---  no "unknown caller" or "out of area" caller nor any other caller at all today. Just my mom and dad's phone # and Walgreens.

Anyone ever got a phone message from a dead person? Am I going crazy? Truth be told, I am freaking out -- and the message -- it's still on my machine... but what does it mean?




6 comments:

Hillary said...

That's wild, Diane....Now I know how to get your goat, Princess Di!!

Barb Polan said...

Here's my very analytical and practical side: Did you never erase the last message Chris left you? So that you could hear her voice again after she died? My spiritual side: You'll know the answer if you answer the phone the next time she calls.

Diane said...

Barb, since Chris died I bought a new phone, so no message from her would be on this new phone's answering machine.... besides she'd never refer to herself as "Arline", she hated that name, always went by "Chris"....

And ha ha, Hillary, don't you dare!

Barb Polan said...

Di, so the message was left by someone who got both YOUR name and HER name wrong. So, it can't be a message from her. And it can't have been a (bad) practical joke from someone that day, because it would've been counted in caller ID.

What's left?

Diane said...

Barb -- I don't know, I talked with my therapist about this strange phone call and she was (shocked at first) and then said, "there's 3 things, and I don't want to alarm you but" #1 no caller ID, #2 she called you "Di" and no one else does but she did, and #3 she used her real legal name, which no one but me and her doctors and family knew, everyone else knew her by Chris and if a prankster would have called, they would have used Chris, unless it was family or doctors? but still then, no Caller ID and calling me "Di" instead of "Diane" .... Then my therapist gave/borrowed me a book called "Love Never Dies" which I have been reading and has many examples of telephone calls from the afterlife... Very strange and freaky and not sure why she would call and leave such a short strange message...

I'm almost afraid to pick up the phone! And me -- the one who wants to connect with the dead, am freaked out. ha!

Stephany in Iowa said...

I keep checking back, hoping to hear more answers.