Total Pageviews

Wednesday, October 17, 2018

This is Life In America

So, first of all, I want to thank Barb and Stephanie for their comments on my last post. I'd begun to think that no one reads my blog, really cares anymore, as it is disheartening to write a post and get "no comments"  -- so thank you, everyone, very much for your comments.

As for this creditor thing:

Phew!

This is life after someone gets ill, or disabled. I remember, way back when, Bob could no longer work and we were without his income, little savings, my paltry writing income and it came down to this:  what do you pay with the income you have? Priority #1: mortgage, keep a roof over your head. #2 utilities, keep the electric and water on. After that food -- for you and your pets. Then what's left?

True example: Bob's disability check was $1215/month -- our house payment $675. Doesn't leave much left over, Cobra (his insurance) $440/month. Utilities (even heating with wood and wood does cost so much cord) then water/sewer/electric. Then food for us, + dog and 2 cats Add doctor's visit co-pays, prescription co-pays, the occasional ambulance bills, vehicle insurance, pet vet bills and so which do you decided is more important ---  certainly not credit cards... (and thank you Mom & Dad for helping with the insurance payments)

So yes, I admit, I defaulted on credit cards, and ambulance bills and some other stuff...

To the point, that we were receiving daily, multiple calls from credit collectors. Jeepers, the phone phone ringing off the hook --- stressful.

I finally learned at trick, could "mute" our phone, so we didn't hear it ring, went right to the answering machine and anyone who knew us (family/friends) knew to just start talking "Hello? You there?" and I would pick up. Called this "poor man's Caller ID" because we couldn't afford Caller ID, nor could we afford long distance, so everyone knew to "call me back" if I returned a long distance call.

Ah, the old days. Sucks to be poor and caring for a disabled spouse...

Anyway, after our "settlement" I gave over all the bills we owed to our lawyer, including Citibank plus other hospital bills, doctor's bills, ambulance bills, etc.  and before we got a penny from our settlement, all our debts were negotiated and paid off...

And now this, 4 years later, credit collections wanting $12,000+ for a Citibank credit card. Threatening to take me to court for "defrauding a financial institution". They have my name, birthdate, address and social security number ---   -???!

So back and forth, with my lawyer, this collection agency who wanted the account numbers of the credit card as I told had been paid, I'm digging through paperwork, can't find anything because I think I gave everything to the lawyer, and then my lawyer's paralegal finds it, sends it to me, I call the collection agency give them the account number, the settlement amount, date paid and they say it's not the right number: i.e. the account number I have ends with 2375 and they have 2370   -- and I'm like--- what?

So my lawyer told me to ask the collection agency to send "all documentation" regarding this account to me to review -- and they (the collection agency) said would e-mail said documents to me, that was early this morning and I still have still not received anything.....

But all day today, 3 calls, from same said collection agency (robo calls) threatening ligitation, and I finally (after ignoring the first two) picked up the phone and pressed "1" to speak to a "representative" but just got voicemail and left a message that "I already contacted you and YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO SEND ME THE DOCUMENTS SUPPORTING THIS CLAIM, AND UNTIL THEN STOP CALLING ME!"

Anyway, sorry for the long rant... I just really don't need this right now as also dealing with a roof leak, other house maintenance stuff, fortunately my computer is working now --- . but I am totally stressed out.




5 comments:

Stephany in Iowa said...

Actually, I would block the numbers. If this was negotiated, they are “threatening in bad faith” (legal phrase I just made up). ��

In other words, they have no legal standing, and NO police department or lawyer would follow through with their threats.

Hit block, and move on.

Go shine a light in a dark place for someone, or turn on some Turtles, and sing yourself hoarse, I’ll join you.

Stephany

Denise said...

Yeah, let your lawyer handle it. Mostly I think these callers just try to intimidate people into paying so they'll go away. I don't answer any call if my phone doesn't know who you are. You can leave a message but I will not call back unless I know who you are. And sometimes even then, if I don't want to talk to you.

Anonymous said...

That does sound like a hassle, to think it is all set, but then to get a bunch of calls about thousands supposedly still being owed. Were you able to find out any more info yet?

I don't have a blog, but if I did I'd want comments too. What's kind of strange is regarding the post you had about the clairvoyant, I could have sworn someone commented on it (not me, lol). I thought they wrote something about being surprised that the clairvoyant gave that long of a reading. Then later the comment was gone, and "No Comments" was the result until someone else commented. Anyway, hope your week is going better.

Lynne in CT

J.L. Murphey said...

I defaulted on a Capital One MC. I paid them over $900 when I owed $200. Trumped up finance charges and interest. I told them that I had paid my balance 4x times what I originally owed and they wouldn't get another cent from me. It went into collections. Fast forward ten years. The collection co is still trying to collect $1500 from me. I've blocked their calls. On a lighter note, I have a Capital One MC in my wallet today. I use it and pay it off the next month. I've had the account for 4 years now. I treat those collection calls like I do the ones saying the IRS has issued an arrest warrant for me. I ignore them.

Diane said...

Lynne, that's interesting about the comment you saw "disappeared"!

Jo, don't blame you have you negotiated a price. Problem with this collections, is the credit card number doesn't even match mine -- so makes no sense, though they have my social security number, birthday, address and are threatening me with court. Nerve wracking, so say the least.

Thanks all for your comments!