Total Pageviews

Tuesday, December 18, 2018

I did it!

Went to a second writer's workshop.  And I tell you, after my first experience, I was terrified.

Terrified about reading "out loud" in front of strangers -- haven't done this in over 20 years or so.

Terrified about driving there and back, especially if it got dark.

But my shrinkologist told me to "face my fears" and go.

So I did.

Drove, but took the dog with me.  Drove even though it was raining on my way there.  My plan was to ask to read first, get it over with, you know, so I could just relax, but ended up reading 3rd, but at least I was able to leave before it got dark out.

And I did read it.  Read the first five pages of Chapter 2 of my memoir in progress.  Didn't cry, though I did tear up a little, managed to pull myself together and finish it.

And guess what? Got a lot of support, good comments/suggestions/critiques.

I think the most important thing for me was to hear some good feedback, know I haven't "lost my touch" as it's been over 10 years since I've written a book and I do doubt myself.  Especially since I've never written a "memoir".  My self esteem has been in the toilet lately, and I constantly wonder if my writing is "good enough" --- and after attending this group, I feel much more confident that I can actually do this, write this memoir, and get it out there, published.

It's going to take time.

Especially since I'm still dealing with these damn contractors!  I cancelled a dental appointment for tomorrow because supposedly someone will be here to repair the solar pool heater or at least figure out a way to bypass the solar and just use the gas heater.  I've not been able to swim in nearly 3 weeks, it's killing me as this is my big stress reliever (daily swimming).  Kona not happy either.  And both of us not getting enough exercise....

So my stress level is high, and doesn't help it's Christmas season without Bob and bah hum bug to all the sappy commercials and lovey-dovey music! it's damn depressing and lonely....  Can't wait until it's over.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that it went well. How about writing the chapter here some time and maybe someone would give feedback? :) I would imagine a memoir would always be a work in progress... until published.

Good luck with getting your pool repaired.

Lynne in CT

J.L. Murphey said...

WTG Diane! I know about any holiday without your spouse. I feel the same way.