Total Pageviews

Monday, April 11, 2011

Urologist Thought That Bob Was A Goner

I took Bob to his Urologist today and found out he has some type of bladder infection. This might explain a lot of things: the constant accidents, the "it's wet", etc. Got a script for antibiotics. An interesting side note, though, his urologist is an "old" doctor, meaning Bob had seen him before the stroke. Usually, when we visit an "old" doctor, I have to spend a lot of time explaining what happened: i.e. the TIA's, the first surgery, the stroke, the second surgery, what happened since and on and on. So, I expected to spend a good amount of time explaining things to this doctor, but when I started on "the story", this doctor stopped me and said, "Yes, I know."

He said, "I heard about it, and I went to the hospital and I visit him in ICU." I kind of looked at him, because I didn't see him visit and no one told me that he had visited. (But I guess he came late or early, when I wasn't there. I was there every day from about 8:00 a.m. and about 8-9:00 p.m.)  He turned to Bob then and said, "I came to see you, amigo, but you were out like a light!" He laughed. (He must have visited when Bob was still in a semi-coma/critical condition, that first 30 days or so.) Then, he looked at me and said, "I shouldn't say this, but those doctors there didn't have any hope, especially that neurologist," he shook his head, "I forget his name, some Italian doctor? That neurologist, especially him but all the doctors there told me that Robert was a goner. He was good as dead. Said he'd never survive this stroke because it was massive. It was just a matter of time. I felt terrible, you know? But now I am so happy to see you here! So, let's see if we can fix this problem. OK?"

OK, I needed that. A sort of slap in the face. Time again to count blessings and remember how far we've come. Though not a totally pleasant experience, the doc "irrigated" Bob's bladder, running a tube down his penis and suctioning junk out, then running a scope down it to "look around", yikes. I'm sure it hurt like hell and it was very messy.... and took so much time, we missed Rehab today.  But, I pray the antibiotics work and this urinal/urination i.e. wetting the bed problem comes to an end.

1 comment:

Jenn said...

It's interesting how honest this "old" doctor was with you. So bold, but yes, reflecting the blessings on how far Bob has actually come! I hope, too, that this irrigation and antibiotic helps clear up things. Whew.