Total Pageviews

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

All Saints' Day

Yesterday, I asked Bob if he knew what day it was and he answered, "I don't know." So, I gestured around the room which I had decorated for him in jack-o-lanterns and a plastic ghost, but he still didn't get it, so I said, "It's Halloween, silly."

Bob said, "Duh. Happy Halloween!"

And I said, "So you know what that means? That means tomorrow is..." I wanted him to fill-in-the-blank, because tomorrow would be my birthday. Long ago, Bob had told me that he would never forget my birthday because it was so easy to remember, being the day after Halloween.

But Bob said, "I don't know."

So, I coaxed him further, "Today is Halloween and that means that tomorrow is the day after Halloween, which is what important day?"

Bob thought about it for a minute, then, triumphantly said, "All Saints' Day!"

OK, that is true, but...

One year ago today, Bob, while in ICU, extubated himself which is a fancy way of saying he yanked out his own breathing tube and, to everyone's amazement, began breathing on his own.  So today is a good anniversary.

Anyway, happy All Saints' Day to everyone, happy anniversary to Bob and happy birthday to me, even if I'm the only one here at The Pink House who remembers that last one!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well this is a good anniversary then! And for the second time today HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! What I wouldn't give to be younger and only turning 50, your still a "Spring Chicken" Ha! Ha!

When Stan can't remember or doesn't understand I keep telling myself at least he is still here with me. I know it hurts at the same time because our husbands are "different" then how they were, but heck we can still touch and hug and look into their eyes. I better stop here Tee Hee!!

Have a wonderful Birthday!!! Hugs Patricia

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DIANE! Hope you had a good day. Love Neta

Nikki said...

Happy birthday and happy All Saints' Day, hehe!

Linda said...

Belated Happy Birthday Diane!!

I hope you had some lovely birthday moments!

Linda

Anonymous said...

I sure hope you had a wonderful birthday. A belated Happy Birthday to you, and enjoy another 50 or so birthdays. Caring1 (Dan)