Total Pageviews

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Five Dollar Dilemma

The other day, while walking Boomer, I noticed a spot on my glasses and stopped to clean them off. As I looked down, I saw a five dollar bill on the ground. So I scooped it up and Boomer and I went on our way.

When we got home, I told Bob that Boomer and I had had a profitable morning walk and I showed him the five dollar bill. He reached out for it, so I gave it to him.

He held that five dollar bill at an arm's length and stared at it as if it were an artifact from an alien planet, so I said, "Do you know what that is?"

He said, "No."

I said, "It's money."

"Money," he repeated, still staring at the alien bill.

"Do you know how much money that is?" I asked, because he looked so confused.

"No." He shook his head. This from the guy who used to meticulously balance the checkbook and always keep track of his commissions in case the company made a mistake on his paycheck. This is the guy who used to worry about every single cent. Now, he doesn't recognize a five dollar bill....

So, I pointed to the number 5 in the corners and said, "It's five dollars."

"Oh!" he said, then asked, "so... more than a thousand?"

"No. More than one dollar. It's like five one dollar bills."

He still studied the bill, then he asked, quite seriously, "More than twenty thousand dollars?"

Well, I wish.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish it was the twenty thousand dollars for you too.....you both deserve it. It is so good to see the increasing words and sentence structure from Bob in his speech.
Hope you can spoil yourself with that "windfall". Have a wonderful week. Hugs, (caring1)....Dan

Anonymous said...

Hi. I sadly know exactly how you feel. While we want our husbands to keep showing improvement it's these set backs that remind us of the devistation of stroke.

I know people are trying to be positive but sometimes I just wish for you and I a miracle!

Take care. Patricia

Nikki said...

Too bad you didn't find twenty thousand dollars!