Total Pageviews

Friday, July 26, 2013

PT, again

I hope I am not pushing this too fast, but Bob will have his first at-home physical therapy session today. He has been out of therapy since April and I can see that he is getting weaker and weaker. So when the neuro doc suggested in-home therapy after the botox treatments, I jumped on it.

Because really, Bob needs to start moving around. He hasn't done any exercises since dropping out of Outpatient Rehab. It's been over 3 months and most days he even refuses to get out of bed into the wheelchair. Plus he doesn't want a bed bath, doesn't want his hair washed, won't even shave unless we are going to a doctors' appointment and, of course, doesn't want to do his exercises.  And all of this really concerns me.

My thought had been once the botox sets in and after his foot healed, he would be ready to go.  Because, truthfully, his excuse has been that his foot and leg "hurts". Unfortunately, the botox has not set in, at least not that I can tell, and it's been 3 weeks since those injections. On top of that, his foot is still killing him (those darn little toes).

But we are starting "slow", really starting from scratch, back to Square One with a home care therapist and in-bed exercises. And we'll see how it goes...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Diane: I wonder if he is experiencing a bout of depression (understandable considering his situation). The lack of caring for personal hygiene, and not even wanting to get out of bed and into his wheelchair points somewhat toward that in my opinion. I can understand the lack of desire to exercise when pain is involved, but in the past he tended to overlook the pain and do the exercises anyway. I hope he can and will do the bed exercises and work with the PT.

As always, lots of prayers and hugs for both of you. Dan

J.L. Murphey said...

Diane, I agree with Dan. Dealing with constant pain can trigger it. But exercising his foot with therapy even though there is pain involved is necessary if he ever hopes to get some use back. Part of his pain response my the fear of impending pain. The fact that he'll do these things when faced with the doctor's office is a good thing.

Although the Botox might not appear to you that it's working, have you noticed any improvement at all? Like with steroid shots the doctor has to hit the right muscle groups. My first set of injections was like a miracle within two weeks. The second, only limited results in deadening the spasms. Now the third EMG driven needle hit all the right spots and has worked wonderfully.

With the in house PT, he/she will make him do the exercises. They don't take no for an answer. It's too easy to say no to you. You are there all the time and are frazzled most times with all you have to do.

Rebecca Dutton said...

I'm crossing my fingers for you. If the PT can get Bob moving he may feel better after he works out the stiffness.

Barb Polan said...

Good luck! Surely the PT will give him exercises that don't hurt, and even be optimistic that they'll help him. You can do it!

Theresa Loder said...

Diane
I am hoping for the best for you and Bob...I won't even try to give you any advice or thoughts about OT or PT as everyone is so different...sendings hugs and prayers...
you are doing a fantastic job with Bob...dealing with so much and so many changing issues

Take care
Theresa