Total Pageviews

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

A Day at the Beach (sort of)

I did manage to get Bob to the beach while my sister was staying there, and managed to wheel him out to the end of the boardwalk to see the sand and the water in the distance. And I could see the wistful look in his eye. And he said, "Nice."
Bob with my sister and her friend at the beach motel.

But after an hour, his pain levels skyrocketed.

So we didn't stay very long.

At one point, I went down to the water alone, to look out at the waves, and Bob told my sister, "Sad."

Afterward, he told me, "I try."

I tell you, it breaks my heart that he can't enjoy simple things like a sunny day at the beach, anymore.

Anyway, last Friday, we went back to the neurologist and Bob got a second set of Botox injections in his neck, leg and also in his right foot.

Yes, you read that right:  right foot. That because the post-stroke dystonia is spreading and now the  toes on his right foot are starting to curl in just like they did in his left foot. It seems, in fact, that his whole body is sort of twisting and he is no longer comfortable sitting in the wheelchair.  And although his left toes have been surgically straightened, he is still complaining of pain in that area.

The neurologist thinks the pain Bob has been experiencing in his foot and also his mouth are caused by "central nerve pain" and he prescribed Lyrica. Which Bob's used once before and it didn't seem to do anything. But this is different pain, so we'll try it again and see what happens.

Meanwhile, my sister has gone back north and life is back to "normal" here. And I am feeling recharged and much more relaxed, though a bit sad to see her go...

But good news: I got 20 more units of home PT approved by the insurance! So Bob will have therapy through the end of the year. Then, I'll have to fight for more.


3 comments:

Barb Polan said...

I bet he DID enjoy the day at the beach. I recently read an article that said that people who dwell on good things/feelings from the past have more optimism about the future.

Anonymous said...

It was great to read that both you and Bob were able to make it to the beach. I'm sure Bob got a lot of enjoyment out of trip even with some pain and past memories.

I'm glad you feel you got recharged. You needed that rest time for so long.

Like you, I wish there were something that could reduce or stop Bob's foot pain. Hopefully, the Lyrica will do the job.

Lots of hugs & prayers. Dan

Theresa Loder said...

Hi Diane
Glad to see you were able to get Bob to the beach...I am just catching up on my kindle


Prayers and hugs to you both
Take care
Theresa