Total Pageviews

Wednesday, July 9, 2014

The Secret to a Long, Happy Marriage -- According to Bob

This week, the therapist asked Bob how long we have been married. Bob, who couldn't find the words, held up his hand. Five fingers. Then he closed his hand, opened it, closed it, opened it, closed it and opened it again. That's four times five fingers = 20.

And you know, he was right. It will be 20 years this September. (Hard to believe, but true!)

Then the therapist asked Bob, "What's your secret?"

Bob said, "Secret?"

ST: Yes, the secret, Bob, what's the secret of a long, happy marriage?

Bob: I know!

ST: Well, tell me! I want to know, too. Lots of people would like to know.

Bob (turns to me, touches me on the cheek, looks me in the eye) says: "I...love...YOU!" Then, he turns to the therapist and says, "See?!"

The speech therapist got tears in her eyes and said, "Bob, you're making me cry!"

I tell you, I suddenly had tears in my eyes, too.


And I know, despite everything else, how very blessed we are...



8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank Diane and Bob, now I have tears in my eyes as well.
Love you both,
Yadira

Anonymous said...

awwwwwww, how very sweet! Such true love is hard to find these days. <3

Anonymous said...

Awww...makes me cry too. But so true....unconditional love regardless the circumstances. You both have it. Hugs & prayers, Dan

Rebecca Dutton said...

I got tears in my eyes too - way to go Bob.

MikeF said...

Of course, this isn't a blog about stroke and struggle as much as it is a love story.....

Theresa Loder said...

Aww beautiful
I have tears too
Hugs
Theresa

Barb Polan said...

Mike is right. Your story is a love story.. BTW, I've been married 33 years, and Bob is right about that.

J.L. Murphey said...

Perfect answer!