Total Pageviews

Sunday, November 23, 2014

Caregiving X 2

So, I knew this was coming, but as always it seems to happen too fast.  Boomer, my beloved, best friend, best buddy, Great Dane/German Shepard/lovable mutt and 12 year companion, recently turned 13 years old. And man, he is showing it.
Boomer in his favorite spot on our front porch.


I had the vet come to our house last month for a check-up, as Boomer is really slowing down and his appetite has been picky/poor. She diagnosed severe arthritis and also neurological problems caused by the arthritis, including loss of sensitivity to his rectum, which is why he sometimes, you know, looses control of his bowels while he is asleep and, of course, the big dog hip dysplasia...

Surgery could correct the hip problem, but the vet thought that would be too risky at his age. And now, it's down to "keep him comfortable" and happy and quality of life issues and take it day by day...

Soooo -- Boomer has been prescribed doggy hydrocodone (WHICH IS A CONTROLLED SUBSTANCE! GA! So once again I am on the "try-to-find-this-pain-med" trip, but now for the dog!) and Gabapentin, plus glucosamine supplements (he was on these before) and recommended daily walks (which I have been doing for 12 years, so no problem there). So I am popping pills down this poor dog's throat several times a day... not fun for either of us.

Also, she suggested acupuncture and hydrotherapy.  Oh-kay -- I'm starting with the pharmaceuticals and we'll see how it goes. I guess I might have to put a pool in the back yard at our new house, not only for aqua therapy for Bob but for Boomer!

Also, I bought him a doggie orthopedic bed, which he didn't like at first, but has gotten used to. He needed something as he has so much trouble getting on the couch.

Boomer in his new bed, by the fireside

I hate to say, I know Boomer's time is coming, and it will be heartbreaking, but it's not here yet. He will tell me when it's time. And I'm glad to know that I have a vet who will come to our house to do the heartbreaking deed, if/when needed.

Meanwhile, I will take care of this wonderful dog who has always been there to protect and comfort me.

And, on another note, I am still trying to get this wheelchair order mess straightened out! Basically the medical supply company blames the doc and the doctor's office blames the supply company, but someone somewhere did drop the ball and now we have to go back to the prescribing doctor's office next Tuesday, because they say the wheelchair eval is "too old" and we need a new appointment ---  grrrrrrr-OWL!



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Because our pets are "family" members, it often times confuses non pet owners why we go to all that expense in caring for them.

A few yrs ago I had to put my dog down at 17-1/2 yrs of age. My kids gave me the dog as a puppy for my 40th birthday. During those yrs., my dog became a neighborhood dog, particularly with the kids. They would often times come over and give the dog treats as well as take her out to play. When the time came to put her down, I called those that treasured her and all together we said goodbye at the vets office. There were lots of tears, but we all knew it was time to stop her suffering.

Your Boomer is an important family member and when the time comes to say goodbye, it's going to be very difficult. Hopefully, that time will still be a few yrs down the road. In the meantime, enjoy those walks and the time with Boomer. Play with him when he can enjoy the time.

Hugs and prayers, Dan

J.L. Murphey said...

Boomer like my animals are more than pets. I've had to put several down due to this or that condition or age over the years, and it doesn't get any easier.

They fill our lives with happiness, joys, antics, and heartache just as our human family members do. And just like when a human family member passes, we hold their memory dear. They only know one way to love you...unconditionally.

Hugs honey and as always your whole household is in oyr prayers.

Don Wood said...

Poor old Boomer, You seem to be having more than your share with invalids. Sorry about the comments you have been suffering I have had a troll leaving comments and shut down omy blogs for a while and have only just relaxed them again. As I said sorry but it aint me.
Love and prayers back at ya.
And special hug for Boomer.
Don

Jenn said...

Precious Boomer <3 How cool would it be for Bob and Boomer getting hydro therapy (pool) at the same time! D-aaaaawwwww

Barb Polan said...

I feel for you having to start thinking about saying good-bye to Boomer. It's never been anything but heart-breaking for me, and Boomer has been such a support for you.