Total Pageviews

Saturday, April 28, 2018

More Baby Steps...

Today, they had the annual "drop off" unused narcotics day at our local police station. And I still had some Fentanyl patches in the cupboard.  So I took them to the police station and dropped them off. And got back into the car and broke down in tears....

And another thing, been going on, is our cordless phone is "dying" -- and I've not changed the "greeting" message at all since Bob died.

A little backstory -- our former cordless phone "died" after Bob's stroke. It still had the "greeting" with Bob's voice sounding perfectly normal and when the phone died, we went and bought a new one and I thought, jeepers, I'll have to record the "greeting" and then, had a "brilliant" idea, because Bob was still here and maybe he could record a greeting.

So I worked a simple script for him. And of course, with his aphasia, he kept screwing it up. So I finally thought, okay, we can do one of those "cute couple's" messages, you know the ones, where two are talking saying "Hi, this is Diane and" and the other says "Bob" and figured all he needed to remember was his name and after I say "leave a message", he was supposed to say "Bye" at the end.

We tried this, I don't know, 16-20 times, and he kept screwing up, to the point we were both laughing so hard, then finally when re-recording he got the"Bob" part right! Yay! --  but when it was time to say "Bye" he said "Diane" instead and I started laughing, he was laughing then silent and finally said Bye bye -- and when I played it back Bob said "That's funny!" so I kept it plus I was tired... and I figured there was time to retry again.. but we never did.

And after he died I just kept that last "greeting" on our answering machine... Bob and me, laughing.... jeepers. The good old, bad old times... and I couldn't bare to erase it.

Some people have told me "never change it!" and that it's beautiful and makes them laugh but others have told me "it's morbid" as he's dead, and then others (like my pool cleaning service) were surprised and confused, thinking Bob was still here....

So I guess, it's time to change the greeting... jeepers will be 3 years next month... But I still didn't want erase that old message, felt so much erasing another part of Bob...

And as the phone has been acting up, ready to die -- I went from the police station dropped off the patches then, in tears, drove to Best Buy, and got a new cordless phone, because I don't want to lose that 'greeting' message, figuring if I "save" the phone it before it dies, I will always have that recording to listen to and maybe can get that recording transferred to a flash drive or something.

Today, I experimented using my TracPhone to call our number and my camera to record the greeting message:    Here it is: hope you can hear it! Click to enlarge if you can't hear it... and to those of you who are used to calling me, there will probably be a bland automated greeting, soon...  but know you got the right number...


7 comments:

Stephany in Iowa said...

Oh, my. That made me smile.

I still have a digital copy of my husband’s message copied onto my computer. I hope I never lose it..

Hillary said...

Love it still. Hope you can figure out a way to record it on your new answering machine

Unknown said...

Hello Diane, that's a lovely memory and a cute message, but you're right, it IS time to change it. Another baby step is good, every 'thing' in it's own time, change isn't bad. This doesn't mean anything except that you're changing your phone message. It's 'normal', people do it every day - so take pleasure in knowing you're still normal! :-) WOOT!!!!

Stephany - make sure you back up that message on your computer, if you haven't already. Put it on a thumb drive or something. it only takes one screw up on a computer and you can lose it all because it can't be accessed. I had that happen to me with years worth of music and etc, I had backed up some, but not all of it and so most of it was 'gone'. :-( Just a thought!

Hugz

Diane said...

Stephany, how did you it?

Rebecca Dutton said...

It made me laugh.

Anonymous said...

I did something similar. I kept the entire phone because even though it was no longer working regarding sending or receiving messages, I could still listen to the messages that were saved. I had saved one of each of my children and my husband. I would listen to his message periodically to remind me how he used to sound. Although he does not have aphasia, it took a long time for him to sound like HIM again. When that finally happened, I threw the phone out. Now I make sure I always have a message from him saved on the new phone...plus one of each of my kids.

Barb Polan said...

What a sweet message you had! I'm sure your new one is too - sweet and sincere.