Total Pageviews

Monday, August 24, 2020

Open Caregiving

It always amazes me how people "come across" my blog. Folks googling things like "caregiver stress" and I pop up! Or "how to wash hair in a wheelchair?" and there I am!

Recently I was contacted by Ben, who has a blog called "Open Caregiving", who also stumbled upon my blog and he asked me if I'd share my caregiving story with his readers. When I said I'd be glad to help, he sent me several questions to answer for my "story".

So I answered his questions and submitted my article.

You can read it here: https://www.opencaregiving.com/stories/you-can-do-it-all-you-need-is-love

I must say it was hard to revisit those caregiving days, I was nearly in tears when I finished writing that article. But if it helps or inspires anyone, it's well worth it.

I also must say it does my heart good, after he read the article and wrote "What an inspiring and heartfelt story to read. It is an amazing honor to read the personal story of a great writer like yourself..."   He also chose the title. Which is sweet.

Ben's site is called Open Caregiving and you can find other caregiver's stories at https://www.opencaregiving.com

4 comments:

Patricia said...

I found your blog back in 2013 after my father passed away. My father was unable to speak, paralyzed on his right side, able to walk (just barely) until he fell and broke a hip about 10 years after the stroke. My mom was his sole caretaker for 26 years. He had his stroke at age 47. She would not have considered anything else, but to bring him home. The dedication she had for him was amazing. Just as you were amazing to Bob. He was so lucky to have you.

Anonymous said...

I’ve been meaning to comment on your last couple posts so I’ll do it all here. That was a nice article the guy wrote – you sure went through a lot and Bob was definitely fortunate to have you…

Sounds like you received a number of “signs” which must have been comforting. After I read your post, I tried to ask for signs from my parents (my father died in 1987 and my Mom in 2005) but received no signs. Oh well – maybe some day.

How’s it going with the termites? As for your tooth, I had that happen earlier this year – bit into a spring roll, felt something hard, saw part of a tooth and thought it was from a worker who had made or served the spring roll – eww. However, it was part of my own crown – ugh.

I’ve read a lot of true crime and memoirs, and never heard of that re: not being able to quote depositions because they are “not on public record.” Can you paraphrase the information? I can see how it would be time-consuming if you’d had a lot of quotes…

Good luck with everything! -- Lynne in CT

Jenn said...

My heart is full. Your article is wonderful. Now get on with your memoir! People need you. Love you.

J.L. Murphey said...

You hit the nail on the head with this article. You took the words out of my heart.