Total Pageviews

Thursday, August 16, 2018

Creepy Computer Scams..

So, for the last couple of months I kept getting calls from "Invalid Caller" which I didn't pick up, when I was home, and no messages were ever left. Then I kept getting these calls from Invalid Caller  #1-209-172-6778-- first once a day, then twice a day then sometimes 3-4 times a day, I wasn't picking up even when home, no message left -- but damn irritating, the phone ringing so many times --  finally the other day, I was standing in the kitchen right by the phone and it rang and the Caller ID was that Invalid Caller number I recognized, as the one calling me constantly, so I picked up the phone hoping to just put an end to this...

So, I say "Hello" and there's this guy with an Indian accent, I mean East India or maybe Iran or whatever, but speaking English with a strong accent, and he says he is calling about my computer tech company. And I ask him what is the name of your company -- and he sorta says something very quick like PCTech something and says we've noticed you have slow internet connection and are getting many "error messages"...

And I say "No."

And he says, well, you do not see it, but we do. And then he wants me to go onto my computer and login... And I am sensing SCAM big time and probably should have just hung up, but I didn't and instead I said, oh? and what kind of computer do I have?

He says "Microsoft"

I say, "Sorry - I have a Macintosh" so you got the wrong person.

He says, "Macintosh is just the hardware, Microsoft is your software, and that is the problem."

And I say, "Sorry, Macintosh has it's own software. I don't have Microsoft."

And he says, "No, you are wrong."

So I tell this dude "Sorry, this is a scam."

And he says, "Well, you are an idiot."

And I say, "What?'

And then he is screaming at me, "You are STUPID AND AND IDIOT"

And I say, "What?'

And he repeats that I am "stupid" and an "idiot",  and then he says, "or maybe you just having a bad day?"

And I say, I don't why I say this, but I say, "Well, every day has been bad day since my husband died."

And then he screams at me "YOU KILLED YOUR HUSBAND!"

And I say "what did you say?"

And he says, "You killed your husband because you are stupid and an idiot."

And I tell you, I am angry, freaking, mad and I yell into the phone "DON'T EVER CALL THIS NUMBER AGAIN AND FUCK YOU!" and I hang up.

Still shaking, can't believe it. But shaking because I have been dealing with a lot guilt - i.e. should I have forced Bob to go to the hospital the night before he died? Would that had made any difference? And did I make a wrong decision by following Bob's wishes to NOT go the hospital that night?

I tried to call the phone number back, to make a complaint. Just got a message from Verizon that it was an "invalid phone number",  so could not call back and a friend helped me figure out to block calls from that caller ID which I did...

But still --

6 comments:

Denise said...

Yeah, I've learned not to pick up calls like that. Obnoxious, aren't they? If my phone doesn't know you, I figure I also don't know you.

Please, please, be kind to yourself. You know it's what Bob would want.

Diane said...

Yes, Denise, I have learned not to pick up calls like that, and normally do not pick up -- but when they are calling 2-3 sometimes 4 times a day, for several months, I just felt like I wanted to end it... my bad. But did block that caller, afterwards.... But when I hear the phone ring I am always hoping it's a friend/family --- disappointing... Guess I am just a lonely widow.... and that sucks

Stephany in Iowa said...

Psst...lonely widow here. The last caller I asked if his mother was proud of how he was making his money. I don't think he was pleased. Maybe he's not making much money

Stephany in Iowa

Diane said...

Stephany -- a great response! good for you, I'll remember that in the future. thanks and take care

Unknown said...

I'm glad you've learned your lesson about those calls, never answer them again!! Often we can be our own worst enemy, we do things we know we shouldn't do and in our minds we are gonna 'fix' the situation (like you wanting to end the phone calls), but as it progresses, things happen we didn't count on happening (as with your call) and all it does is escalate and we end up more frustrated than we were previously (as you were after hanging up). So now, the thing you need to do is to stop trying to collect the water that's already gone under the bridge. It's long gone and you cannot get it back. This also is not your fault, water moves along and so Diane, does life. You're not at fault because Bob died, nothing you could have done differently would have changed the ending. No one but you is blaming or holding you responsible for Bob's death...lay it down, let it go...and live your life. You didn't die, Bob did, and it's no ones fault. Death is part of life, it's not pleasant to think about or face but it's there. Let it go Diane, just lay it down and leave it, that burden is unnecessary.

J.L. Murphey said...

Oh, Diane. I think I'd take it one step farther and call the police to report them filing a complaint. Verizon may have it as an invalid number, but I'll bet the police have no such problem. That call was cruel and viscous attack.