Total Pageviews

Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Just a Quick Update

Well, the collection agency finally e-mailed "the documents" that I requested, which turned out to be one page, a sort of letter, titled "Verification of Debt" with the account number half **** out, the amount owed, $11,000+, and dates (both when account opened and last payment) listed as N/A.

So not much info there.  Heck there wasn't even an address on the letterhead of this letter.

Called my attorney, told them what I got, he had me forward it to his office, and told me if they call again to, first, get the name of whom I'm speaking, then just give them his name and phone number and tell them to contact my lawyer and hang up the phone.  He also told me to keep a notebook by the phone and keep a log if they call again, time/date etc.

Oh-kay.

Two days later, after I told the collection agency NOT to call me, they called again. So I answered and gave them my lawyer's name and phone number etc. and before I could hang up, the woman I was speaking with says, "We don't call lawyers. And we don't deal with disputes. You can have your lawyer call us, but we DO NOT call lawyers!"

So I say, "Don't call me again. My lawyer is handling this."

And she says, "Fine! SEE YOU IN COURT!" and hangs up on me.

Jeepers!

So I call my lawyer and tell him what happened and he has sent "these scumbags" (his words) a letter, telling them he is handling this case and wants proof of this account, and that they should not call me as he considers this harassment and illegal. He also included our document, signed by Citibank, that this account (at least an account with a very similar number) was paid.

So -- we'll see what happens next.  So far, my phone has been quiet.  Fingers-crossed.

Meanwhile, I'm back at writing my memoir.... finally after a long writer's block.  (Though it's mostly ripping apart what I've already written and rewriting it -- but that's why they call it a "rough draft".)

4 comments:

Cockeyed Jo said...

Forget about ripping it apart. Just write it. You can rip it apart during editing.

Theranow said...

This is helpful but also i recieved also of very useful info. from Physical therapy home exercise software  about different programs to help with home exercise program, home workouts, Best Workout app it was so helpful i hope it helps you too.

Stephany in Iowa said...

Ah, she was just pissed that you didn’t cave. Can you block the number?

And keep writing. Wasn’t it Hemingway who said “write drunk, edit sober”?

Diane said...

LOL Stephany! Don't know if Hemingway actually said that, but does sound like something he would say -- love it!

And Jo, thanks, but this is actually my MO -- I do tend to write/edit/rip apart in the process of the "first" draft. I know how my mind works -- and I'll probably rip it up again in 22nd draft -- LOL -- and I know every writer is different -- but this is what I do... and it does feel good to be at work again.