Total Pageviews

Saturday, June 22, 2019

Happy Solstice & Happy Birthday Zenith!

Happy Solstice which is the longest day of the year... the height of the sun and Zenith, our Siamese was born on the summer solstice.

(sorry, started writing this way before midnight, so yesterday was the summer solstice.)

Happy Birthday Zenith.

She would've been 12 years old.

Bob wanted her to have "sun" name -- we came up with Zenith as when the sun is at the highest point of sky it's called the "zenith of the sun."

Also the word "zenith" came to mean "highest" as in highest quality therefore you have Zenith radios and Zenith TV's back in the day....  and as Bob said she was "best highest quality" cat at the shelter when we adopted her. But people always asked us why we named our cat after a TV? ha!

Bob had always said he wanted a "cool" cat, a Siamese or Himalayan or some such exotic cat and I had always argued that there are too many homeless cats to buy a pure breed.... so...

One day, we woke up and there was a program on the radio that said cats were being discounted at some local shelters from an over abundance of kittens and Bob looked at me and said, "We have to go to the SPCA" as he KNEW there was a Siamese kitten waiting for him there.

Of course, I thought he was nuts, I mean, Siamese cats cost money, you don't find them at shelters unless they are older cats.... unless some owner died... but a kitten? no way, those cost money...  even the ones who aren't "show quality" cost money, at least a couple thousand bucks.  Show quality cats cost much more...   anyway

Bob was insistent, so I thought OK, we'll go and there isn't going to be any Siamese kitten but there will probably be another kitten he'll fall in love with and we will take it home.

So we go to the SPCA and look around at dozens and dozens of kittens. No Siamese.  I point out a cute striped gray one. Actually get a volunteer to take it out, so we can hold it and play with it in the "play room" at the shelter. I say, "oh what a sweet kitty, why don't we take him home?" But Bob is still insistent there's a Siamese.

So we look around again, bunches and bunches of mostly black kittens, older cats, no Siamese. A very cute fluffy black cat I convince Bob to look at, and a volunteer let's us take it into the "play room" but Bob says, "I think we  are at the wrong shelter, maybe we should go check the Humane Society." He is sure there is a Siamese waiting for him. And as the volunteer was putting that fluffy kitten back in its crate, a guy comes with a crate of kittens and right in front of us, puts the crate on the highest shelf. And we look up and there is a Siamese kitten with big blue eyes looking down at us. Eight weeks old.  Of course, we asked to see her, the volunteer actually took two kittens out, handed one to Bob (not a Siamese) and one to me (which was Zenith), and we take them to the play room where the one Bob had just runs around like crazy and the other (Zenith) just curls up on my lap and falls asleep, purring.

Of course, definitely, we adopted her.  But how the hell did Bob know she'd be there?

So you know they had a special bond... and she died two weeks after Bob.  I miss them both.




BTW: Zenith was a "Sealpoint Snowshoe Siamese" therefore the white paws....  so not a show quality cat -- but still they cost money when you buy them from breeders, I've heard $850.00 up to $1000 ... she was $25.00 included vaccines and spaying at the shelter...

And must admit, a very "cool" cat.

I tell you, they were meant to be together. I loved her too. So much.

Last week, my shrink (not my therapist) asked me why it bothered me so much about an anniversary  that a cat died?

8 comments:

Joyce said...

Thanks for sharing her story. I had wondered how she got her name.

Denise said...

I'm confused. You have a "shrink", but this person is not a therapist? And what an insensitive thing to say to someone whose pet died.

Diane said...

Denise, I have a Grief Therapist through Hospice who is not a doctor so can't prescribe meds, I see her weekly and it costs $20.00. And I have a shrink (doctor) who can prescribe meds, I see her every 3 months for 1/2 hour just to get my prescription filled -- she costs $135 for 1/2 hour appointment. BTW: My therapist agrees with you, when I told her what my doctor (shrink) said... my therapist said "Just erase that, that was an awful thing to say." PS: my therapist has two cats....

Hillary said...

Zenith was a beauty...what an interesting story...I did not know how you acquired her......and I think you need to ditch the therapist! She is in the wrong profession!

Stephany in Iowa said...

Hey, Diane, you really know how to bury the punch, don’t you? I love that abrupt shift. Good writing.

And I understand about the two professionals. You only have to show up, Show you’re alive and stable, and they’ll write the prescription. Mine is moving across country, and we will doing our visits through “telemedicine”. (And he would never say that!)

I loved meeting Zenith.

Thank you

J.L. Murphey said...

I know you miss her. She just couldn't live without Bob. Now they are together,

Lynne in CT said...

My husband grew up with Siamese cats and loves them, so we have bought 5 Siamese kittens over the years. I'm not sure if we ever could have "shown" them but we did receive paperwork for most of them showing their "pure" blood line. I know many people don't like the idea of paying money to breeders when you can get kittens/cats at a shelter, but like you said, I feel the odds of finding a Siamese kitten at a shelter are quite remote. Also, my husband likes to know the kitten was treated well during its upbringing and he wouldn't be sure about that at a shelter... In any event, we have paid a few hundred for each of the kittens, but not anywhere near what you described cost-wise. You were very fortunate to only pay $25; shelters in this area charge a lot more than that.

I wonder if your psychiatrist was just trying to get at why it bothered you? I'm sure she must have other patients who have a rough time dealing with the loss of a pet. In any event, nice photo of Bob with Zenith -- as Bob Dylan sang in "Like a Rolling Stone" -- "who carried on his shoulder a Siamese cat..."

Diane said...

Lynn, you've been fortunate to pay just a "couple hundred bucks" for a Siamese kitten -- maybe prices vary depending where you live, but down here in Florida, I know one guy who bought a snowshoe Siamese the same time we found Zenith and he paid $850.00. Also saw advertisements up to $5000 for show quality kittens -- but "show quality" has high standards, like the tail must equal the length the body and the nose must pointed not "apple faced" just to mention a few, the others who don't meet "show quality" are still pure bred but they do cost much less...

But you know, "we are Siamese if you please, we are Siamese if you don't please, we are from the residence of Siam and there is no finer cat than I am"!