Total Pageviews

Tuesday, May 18, 2021

Sticker Shock!

Whoa, just got an EOB (explanation of benefits) from my health insurance company saying I owe $18,293.23 for my hand surgeries. I tell you, nearly had a heart attack. Glad I didn't, because they probably wouldn't have paid for that either.

Of course I made many phone calls, spent hours on the phone, but looks like it's true. Didn't know my health insurance was so, excuse me, shitty. I mean, I have paid over $22,000+ in premiums, over the past several years, and when I finally need it, they have paid a measly $7500 toward my medical bills.  

Jeepers. Why bother having insurance? Trying to figure out how to get a different health insurance plan. Not easy, too young for Medicare, too"rich" for Affordable Health Care aka Obamacare.... 60 years old now...  We definitely need Universal Health Care in this country. The prices charged by hospitals and doctors are ridiculous.

Meantime, I'm sure you have heard about the gas shortage here in the south. Decided I'd better fill up the car, thankfully no lines, but $3.50/gallon. Whoa! Well, glad my car isn't a gas guzzler, filled the tank, doesn't even equate when thinking about the $ I'm going to be paying for medical bills. But still... 

Then the attorney for my sister's estate says if there is a "shortfall" i.e. there are bills left to be paid after probate me and my father as co-executors have to pay those bills out of pocket. Even though we are not heirs, who are getting money, and we don't even get so much as a damn brooch out of that estate...

And my hand still not working. Damn!

Oh well, isn't life fine.... 




10 comments:

Jenn said...

Holy crap! Negotiate your medical bills.
And really? You and your father have to pay shortfalls? I don't buy THAT for a minute! How in God's name are either of you responsible for debt that was never yours? I smell BS.

Jenn said...

https://www.alllaw.com/articles/nolo/wills-trusts/personal-liability-debts-estate.html
for starters....

Jenn said...

https://probateadvance.com/wisconsin-probate-laws/

Diane said...

Jenn, I have looked them all up, stupidly true...

Jenn said...

Unless either one of you co-signed or co-own with your sister
Unless estate monies are improperly paid to any creditors
Neither you nor your father are liable for her "shortfalls". And the attorney selling you on this is happy to collect his/her fee when they know you aren't personally liable.

Diane said...

Oh, Jenn, my sister has mortgages on the property and will the estate sale cover attorney costs, or even make much money.? up in the air

Anonymous said...

I don't see how that's possible that you would be responsible for her debts if you never co-signed for a loan or anything along those lines, and if you're not getting anything from the estate. Never heard of that, and I feel like I would have heard of it if it were happening to others as well. So if there are 2 siblings and one is super frugal and saves money and the other spends like crazy and runs up a big debt, the frugal sibling has to pay the debt of the other? Sounds unlikely.

In any event, I hope you can get it all straightened out, medical bills and all.

Lynne in CT

Diane said...

Lynne, it's a Wisconsin law. And isn't like that in Florida....

Anonymous said...

Here's what I copied from a website -- Wilson Law Group, based in Wisconsin. Not saying that this is the be-all and end-all, but I would be interested in knowing why they are telling you something so different from this law group's website.

Are you concerned that, rather than inheriting wealth from your parents, you will instead inherit bills? The good news is, you probably won’t have to pay them.

As you are dealing with the emotional loss, while also wrapping up your loved one’s affairs and closing the estate, the last thing you need to worry about is whether you will be on the hook for the debts your parents leave behind. Generally, heirs are not responsible for their parents’ outstanding bills. Creditors can go after the assets within the estate in an effort to satisfy the debt, but they cannot come after you personally. Nevertheless, assets within the estate may have to be sold to cover the decedent’s debts, or to provide for the living expenses of a surviving spouse or other dependents.

Heirs are not responsible for a decedent’s unsecured debts, such as credit cards, medical bills or personal loans, and many of these go unpaid or are settled for pennies on the dollar. However, there are some circumstances in which you may share liability for an unsecured debt, and therefore are fully responsible for future payments. For example, if you were a co-signer on a loan with the decedent, or if you were a joint account holder, you will bear ultimate financial responsibility for the debt.

Unsecured debts which were solely held by the deceased parent do not require you to reach into your own pocket to satisfy the outstanding obligation. Regardless, many aggressive collection agencies continue to pursue collection even after death, often implying that you are ultimately responsible to repay your loved one’s debts, or that you are morally obligated to do so. Both of these assertions are entirely untrue.

Good luck -- Lynne in CT

Diane said...

Thanks Lynne, but I am not an heir of my sister’s estate, am co representative.... creditors already have been notified per law through advertisements.... the worry is probate fees and attorney fees and estate sale fees and death taxes and if the sale doesn’t bring in enough to cover the estate sale expenses, charges from the sale company. that we, as co representatives hired. Hope that makes sense.