Total Pageviews

Wednesday, May 5, 2021

Wow!

I didn't realize I have been so neglectful of my blog, over a month of silence. So sorry.

A word of advice to any readers out there: if you don't have a Last Will & Testament, draw one up. If you have make sure it's up-to-date. Unfortunately my sister's will is over 20 years old and so very outdated. She left my father and me as co-representatives, not knowing that when she passed I would be 1400 miles away and my father in his 80's. She didn't specify any particulars on how to split her assets except 50/50 between the kids. She didn't have PODs (payable on death) beneficiaries on many of her bank and annuity accounts. All this has left her estate a complete mess in Probate. Add family disputes, things disappearing from the house, me rushing to notarize paperwork to send up north. My father's medical issues causing the burden to fall on my mother. Add Co-Vid and the inability to hold an estate sale. Days spent on the couch in tears.... Like I said, a mess. My therapist says that my sister's death plus the isolation from Co-Vid is bringing back my grief from losing Bob and I do miss him now more than ever. It will be 6 years this month... 

On top of dealing with this, spent an entire day at a car detailer "mold bombing" my formerly flooded car.  Which afterwards smelled like a toxic waste dump, and the conditioner they used left the gas and brake pedals so slippery that it was nerve-racking drive home. 

And hours on the phone dealing with my insurance regarding medical bills, including one that was submitted to the wrong insurance company and then turned over to collections....  And insurance claim paperwork.

Having to have a new AC unit installed... etc. with general usual home maintenance and mold issues in the house.  

Still working with on my hand therapy...

My book manuscript has come to a screeching halt.

I will be try to post more regularly in the future.

Sorry again. Excuse any typos, fingers still not working right. Frustrating.

5 comments:

Denise said...

I've missed you, but it sounds like you've been negotiating several levels of hell, so I'm not surprised you've been incommunicado. Life, it's such a mess right now, isn't it?

J.L. Murphey said...

We had a habit of up dating our wills every five years. My book royalties goes to a separate bank acct that is to be split between the grandchildren. I have very few personal possessions left so my estate will be a breeze. I'm sorry your sister's estate is such a mess.

I can see where being sort of locked down with COVID would make you miss Bob more. If it wasn't for the move and the homestead life pulling me in so many directions I'd miss my beloved more. You are almost alone.

The book will be there when you feel you can pick it up again. Only you can write that story.

Barb Polan said...

Hi Diane, I haven't been checking up on you lately, so I'm trying to catch up. It sounds like you've been dealing with a mass of troubles. I don't have to do anything, which is just as I like it. I'm so sorry about your sister's death.

Re wills, we just discovered the magic of TOD when we went to a lawyer about our wills, after the lawyer estimated the cost to us for her setting up trusts. The expense plus the fact there was some financial maneuverings necessary within 90 days of the death of one of us, stopped us from doing that. As I didn't understand at all what I was supposed to do within 90 days of Tom's death, we opted out of that; then Tom ran into TOD, and set everything up to happen "auto-magically" when one or the other of us dies. And he named our son as the executor of Tom's will, while Tom's the executor of mine. That means I don't have to do anything, which is just as I like it.

Denise said...

Barb, what is TOD? I tried to google it but had no luck.

Diane said...

Denise, it's probably the same as POD, maybe different terms in different states. POD is "payable on death" meaning you can name a beneficiary to your checking account, savings account, annuity, etc. and the beneficiary only has to bring a death certificate to immediately get money out of those accounts. Talk to your banker. Will keep those things out of probate. Hope this is helpful.