Total Pageviews

Tuesday, April 21, 2020

And so it goes....

Just when I thought I was to the bottom of my to-do list: i.e.: fence (check!) insulation (check!) gates fixed by cottage (check!) AC issues (check!) toilets (2 of them, check!) I walk in the bathroom and find this:

TERMITES!!!!! GA!!!
Thankfully I have a contract with the termite company... but before I call them, I search around the house and find more termite frass (i.e. poop) inside my office window, on the back deck and GA! falling from the french doors that I'd just repaired months ago....

So I call the company which is thankfully still operating and they send the termite guy over to treat all the spots and I beg him to not destroy my french doors like he did the last time as I had to hire two carpenters to rebuild the doors and really don't know how much more those antique doors can take.

He obliged and only poked a few small holes in the doors, but told me it wouldn't be "as effective" and then treated the rest of the areas. Of course, we had to stand "social distance" apart and he was wearing a mask... and he said to wait 20+ days and if I see more frass after that to call him and he'll bring the manager over with him. That was the 16th so now I'm on termite poop patrol.

While he was here, I showed him what I thought was some type of bee hive in the corner of one of the front porch column capitals and he thought it looked like hornets or wasps, told me it would be very expensive for their company to handle that, and first I should try using some hornet/wasp spray. When I said I didn't have any, he suggested I use hair spray first. I don't use hair spray, but I'm thinking I have a little can of hair spray somewhere, I think I got it in one of those "gift bags" you get at charitable events. Anyway, I got out the hair spray after he left and what I thought looked like a hive turned out to be cluster of bees and when I sprayed them, all these black bees fell dead to the porch floor. Who'd have thought hair spray can be a killer?!

So thinking there's probably more bees (maybe in the column itself) I went out to get some bug spray. Since I was going out, decided to make a few more stops along the way. I wore a mask, my therapist had sent me a couple in the mail and damn they are uncomfortable. Keep fogging up my glasses. Have to keep re-adjusting it, etc. Went to the pharmacy (thinking they may have wasp spray -- didn't) but got some stuff I needed. I was one of only a few with a mask on. Had to stand in line with those markers on the floor -- to keep your distance. Kona kept trying to lie down (which is usually good) but I didn't want her lying on what might be a dirty floor, so keep pulling her to her feet, practically hanging the poor girl.

Went next to the liquor store, left Kona in the car. I was the only one there with a mask on. Clerk said, "First time I've seen you without your dog!" (Guess my liquor store robbing days are over,  ha!) Went to the gas station, I was one of only two with a mask on and by then I was so sick of the mask, I took it off and tossed it in the trunk. Then I went to Home Depot.

When I got to the doors, two burly guys in masks stopped me and said "Are you here to shop?"

Well, duh. I said, I just need bug spray. They say, "You have to go the back of the line" and point to where there are four more big bouncer looking guys, arms crossed wearing masks and gloves and they point to this roped off aisle, so Kona and I walk down this aisle and I realize there are dozens of masked people standing in line, just on the other side of the rope (so much for social distancing) and they see me (without a mask) and physically turn away from me as we pass by and I'm thinking this is ridiculous, get to the end of the roped off aisle and headed to my car, went home and bought the bug spray on Amazon.

Not to mention how high anxiety provoking the whole experience was and how stressed I was when we arrived home....

Add that experience and termites on top how depressed and stressed and lonely I've been since all this "staying at home" virus stuff started. Somedays it's hard to get out of bed.

I do believe the world has gone crazy.

5 comments:

Barb Polan said...

Diane, at least people are following the rules in your part of FL. If you wear the mask so that it's against your skin across your nose, there shouldn't be any breath coming out between your mask and glasses to fog up your glasses; if you have an N95 (from home improvement projects), bend the metal to contour across your nose.

Your story about you being a pariah because you had no mask reminded me of Arlo Guthrie's "Alice's Restaurant," when he's sitting in the police station for littering, and he gets shunned by the murderers and worse.

Diane said...

LOL, Barb, thanks for making me laugh. I do love Alice's Restaurant and the murderers and mother rapers etc. Those were the good old days... when you could anything you want at Alice's restaurant! Now that song will be playing my mind, but that's alright. thanks again.

J.L. Murphey said...

Diane, I've yet to wear a mask. I carry one in my pocket though just in case I'm asked to don one. I do the social distance thing. I do all my shopping online and just pick it up. I use a lot of drive thrus. We entered our 5th week before our governor partially lifted the order today. Yes, the world has gone insane.

J.L. Murphey said...

Oh, I'm facing similar stuff going on here. My big C is back.

Diane said...

Jo, I am so sorry to hear that. Take care.