Total Pageviews

Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Fence Completion

Still "Sheltering in Place" or "Staying in Place" or whatever they are calling it now...and are told not the leave the house for two weeks.... but been getting some things done like my fence!

My next-door neighbor notified me in February that he was removing his picket fence which "connects" to my aluminum fence, and when he does this, it would leave my front yard wide open on one side! Yikes!
My fence (black) butted up to neighbor's white picket fence

So I contacted the guy who put my fence in originally and found he's retired and closed his company.  (Problem #1)  Couldn't remember where he bought the fencing. (Problem #2). I dug through all my paperwork and couldn't find the name of the fence company, frustrating! As I usually save things like that... finally remembered the company had "West" in it's name and started googling fence companies with "West" and found it! (Yay me!)

Went to said fence company with photos of my fence telling them I needed to extend. It was the right fence company, however the manufacturer of that fence is no longer in business (GA! Problem #3). So we had to figure out the closest model of fence out there that would match.... Except the proportions were a little off, but more importantly the fence finales were a bit different and my finales had strangely faded since they were installed. (Problem #4).

A guy came out to give me an estimate, said the new fence would not match exactly, but would be close enough... got an estimate (expensive!) and a date for install of April 2nd. (This was in February.) We talked about the finales not matching and he gave me a second estimate for replacing all 317 finales so they match --- which cost a lot more than I imagined, but I decided if your going to do a job, do it right.

Informed my neighbor of the delay, he was okay with it...  In fact, he hasn't even started his project which is to remove his entire fence and re-sod his yard. So "my guys" ended up having to remove the part of his fence that connects with mine.

April 2nd comes and no fence installers. Get a call that the materials didn't get in.... Finally was installed yesterday....

This shows the new fence next to the old, before replacing old finales with matching new ones. You can see that the new finales are closer to the railing, larger bases, a different shape....  so I replaced all 317 finales on the old fence.
Also the rail height it little off, height of fence is the same. Really don't notice that unless you point it out!


Job completed!
AND ONE MORE THING OFF MY TO DO LIST!!!

8 comments:

Cockeyed Jo said...

I'm all for crossing things off my to-do list. Unfortunately, when I do cross off one things there are six more to take it's place.

Diane said...

I know what you mean, Jo! Hope the next isn’t as expensive

Anonymous said...

That's good that you were able to get it done after the initial "roadblocks." Just out of curiosity, do you mean the finials didn't match? Glad it worked out in the end.

Lynne in CT

Diane said...

Lynne, the finales didn't match exactly, pretty damn close, in fact as close as I could find but--- if you look at the second picture, you can see the bottom of the finales on my old fence are smaller and don't touch the rail like the new ones do -- that plus color difference (because of fading) and a bit of a difference in the style/shape -- it is pretty close, but hey, this is my front yard and as my realtor would say "curb appeal" ... if this was backyard fence I wouldn't care, but it's the front yard, and I do want it to look nice. So worth the money...

Hillary said...

It looks beautiful! so much better than before with the white picket fence. Miss you!!

Stephany in Iowa said...

If any of the changes don’t please you aesthetically, you can always alternate some of the finials in a pattern.

And have you seen the movie “LitlemPink House”?

Anonymous said...

Love it, it looks really nice. How is Kona doing? And do you still have one of your cats? You don’t really talk about cats any more so I was wondering, we have a cat now he is an outside cat but lately we are letting him come inside, we had him since he was a kitten but I don’t want car hair inside my house that is why I put him outside. He has been with us since October 2018 ( my son bday present).
🤗
Yadira

Diane said...

Thanks Hillary

Steph, I never heard of that movie "Little Pink House"? Where can I find it?

Yadira, Kona finally doing better, thank goodness... and still have one cat, Ripley, aka: The Talented Mr. Ripley, aka: Ripey-dips... who never causes problems except sheds like crazy and loves to scratch up my furniture, but sleeps with me and Kona every night.... and I love him to death. Guess I don't blog about Ripley much because he doesn't cause any problems or do anything weird or wrong and he's been healthy, a good boy, and is a handsome but shy fellow... He will be 9 years old this summer. So nothing to report. Ripley is doing fine! Do consider keeping your new kitty inside, life span for outdoor cats is greatly shorter than indoor kitties....