Total Pageviews

Thursday, June 23, 2022

Kona Attacked!!!

 Yesterday began as an ordinary day. I got up between 6:30 and 7 a.m. Let Kona out the back door to pee (yard is fenced in) and went into the bathroom to brush my teeth, etc. and then I heard it.

A dog fight?

A dog yelping and crying out!

I fled to the kitchen to find Kona crushed against the back door. I let her in, she stumbled, bleeding profusely down her leg.

Of course, I freaked out. Swabbed off the blood. She'd definitely been attacked by -- something. I called around, found an open emergency vet clinic, rushed her in. I didn't know what had attacked her, thought maybe a raccoon as there was evidence of one in the pool the other day.

Doctor said it looked like a snake bite. As it was a puncture wound. Actually there were two bleeding punctures we could see. Looked like fangs had done it. They took her in said they would clean her wounds under anaesthesia and would call me when they were done. So I left her there.

Went back home, shaking. On the back deck, found strange marks (paw prints?) and pieces of Kona's fur. Evidently the thing had chased Kona up the deck. So wouldn't think it was a snake. Called the raccoon trapper who told me a raccoon would leave a full mouth bite, not a puncture wound.... 

Anyway, picked Kona up last night. 

 Kona The Cone Head

They found three different bites:




I found these weird markings on the back deck. So whatever bit her, chased her up the ramp. The watery substance is oily and still hasn't dried up. Kona's fur is in one of these photos and also something looks like paw prints...




Still don't know what creature got her. I looked around the yard, under bushes etc. I did flush out a stray cat, but that's it.

I am glad she's back home....Even if the poor dear is knocking into everything and knocking over everything. 

She's on an antibiotic and anti-inflammatory medication. 

So now seems all I do is dole out pills to both cat and dog.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you have a security camera back there? If so you could check the footage. If not maybe it is time for a cheap security camera.
I hope Kona recovers from what ever attacked her. How scary!

Linda

Diane said...

Thanks Linda, got a trail cam. See what I catch on camera!
And yes, scary as hell.