Total Pageviews

Saturday, August 31, 2019

Ch-ch-changes!

So! After spending all yesterday afternoon, bringing in all my patio/porch furniture, plants, etc. -- killing my back in the process, and then setting the alarm for 6 a.m. because "the guys" said they would be here at 8:00 a.m. -- couldn't sleep a wink, kept waking up, 1:30, 2:30, 3:00, 4:00 then alarm rings, get up, showered, dressed, walked the dog and four guys show up at 8:00 a.m.

Forecast track has changed overnight. Moving away from us.

To board up or not to board up? That is the question. That they ask me.

This hurricane has been all over the place -- and Ed (leader of the crew) had told me they couldn't do it after today.

Tough spot, they put me in.

So I asked.. if it was at all possible, if this darn hurricane changes course, can they come back to board up later, Monday or whenever? And two said they could.

So, no boards up.

Then one of them says, well, we have some free time to move that furniture you wanted to move (meaning my bed, dressers, etc. from dining into bedroom) but unfortunately, I stashed all my front porch furniture and plants in the empty bedroom --- ! One guy said, well, we could move everything out of that bedroom into the garage, but I'm telling you, I'm not moving everything twice.

So right now, not doing anything, not moving anything back outside, not bringing anything more inside, just waiting and watching.

I was exhausted from moving all that stuff yesterday, fell asleep watching morning news, then my smoke detectors started beeping.  Couldn't figure out which one, thought it was the one in my office, changed that battery, then a couple hours later, heard beeping again. Had to run to the store and get smoke detector batteries as I just decided to change them all, as I know the last time I changed them at the same time and was up on the ladder this p.m. changing out batteries and figured since I had the ladder changed out all the air filters too.

I am beat.

Good news is the carpenter looked at my termite damage on the front french door and said it certainly can be patched and painted over. Don't need to replace the door.

Still nervous, but not as bad now.  But you never know with these storms, have seen them turn suddenly in the past.

Thoughts and prayers to all those on the east coast and in the Bahamas. Looks bad for them.

3 comments:

Jenn said...

Thank God it's been moving further out. But Freeport...yikes!
Hopefully it keeps skirting further away from land!

Cockeyed Jo said...

This storm has fish tailed all over the map. It's so big that no one in Florida will miss getting some of it.. like Floyd when they evacuated 3 states. The eye is a perfect circle and the whole things is tight. It will be a cat 5 for a while even after making landfall. Of course it could miss FL all together.

Denise said...

We're not out of the woods at all, because it hasn't made the forecasted turn to the north. I saw a meme on FaceBook yesterday that reminded me that they thought Andrew would turn, and they thought Katrina would turn... And they just don't know. Right now, even if it does turn, we are forecast to get winds from 48 mph and river flooding has started, and I well remember Tropical Storm Fay, the flooding lasted for months. Our stuff is all tied down, our windows are taped, and my husband is at the boat putting on extra, bigger lines. So we wait.