Total Pageviews

Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Everyone Reading this Please Knock on Wood!

The AC is fixed, knock on wood! Charles was here today, told me all the techs had it wrong, cut hole in my "5 ton" HVAC unit -- don't ask me what "5 ton" means, I don't think that's what it weighs, something about the about the amount of air it spews out...

Anyway, he cut a hole in the end of the box surrounding the unit and made my "5 ton" into a "4 ton" and the other one ton is now air conditioning the attic. He did that last week as "an experiment" to see if it worked.

His thought was it wasn't "cold attic syndrome" (like the other company told me and told me pull out all my insulation) but the attic was too humid, therefore the AC unit was sweating condensation which was causing the leaking through the ceiling and other problems.  So today he showed up to see how it was working, and guess what, no more condensation, no more leaking, so he put a "collar" around the hole he made to make it permanent and says I should have no problems now.

After spending over $1000 with this other company.

And Charles didn't charge me a dime. He was the guy who originally installed it and guess felt sorry for me.

So knock on wood everyone, that this works!

Big sigh of relief here. Fingers crossed. Knocking on wood. One problem solved.

And so nice to know, there are still good people out there, honest people, angels in disguise. Thank you, Charles!

6 comments:

Stephany in Iowa said...

This time of year in Iowa, we are sitting back, looking out the window, and hoping we got it all done, because the time to do outdoor work is waning. Taking care of everything, and knowing who to call if we need help, is part of self care. I'm glad you have someone on whom to depend, and I sincerely hope your "swamp cooler" is throwing out cool air as we sit in the doldrums of summer.

Jenn said...

So glad you're a/c issue is resolved (knock wood!). I still don't understand why a/c units are in the attic. Makes no sense to me. Charles's diagnosis is sensible. The other guys...not a clue what they're doing. (Eyeroll)

Diane said...

Jenn, this is Florida, we have no basement here

Jenn said...

There are homes with no basements here, too. I wonder, with new construction in Florida, is the a/c in a different location? Hmmm

Diane said...

Actually. Jenn, codes have changed since we put in the HVAC system in 2015 -- it's a "5 ton" whatever that means, I don't that means it weighs 5 tons but the amount of air circulates. anyway Charles told me new codes are only 4 tons in an attic (because of some many problems) and some people are building "rooms" for HVAC systems or converting closets just to house the HVAC ..... anyhow, mine is in the attic, and Charles basically converted mine to a 4 ton --- so for no trouble, so far, but still knocking on wood. (But only the wood the termites haven't chewed on.)

Cockeyed Jo said...

YEAH!!! Troubles you keep on knocking but ya can't come in no more!