Total Pageviews

Friday, March 6, 2020

Scam calls, Telemarketers, grrr.. but I figured out a way to stop some of them! Maybe....

So many of you know I've been plagued by hundreds of fake creditor calls (which freak me out as they threaten to take me to court and still freak me out, even though no one has served me with any papers yet, and my attorney says just ignore them....) and then other scam phishing type calls, i.e. the IRS, or Social Security or Microsoft or "you have won" some contest I never entered, or the organizations wanting donations and being so persistent (i.e. can I put you down for $10.00) -- which I'm sure many of you get -- so I began just not answering any unknown telephone call coming in, figuring if it was a friend they'd leave a message and if not... blocking calls from unknown numbers...

Well, tonight I am feeling lonely, a case of the blues, hard time writing today, jeepers my book ms. is a mess, tearing my hair out over it, thinking I really would like to talk to someone but didn't want to bother anyone with my problems.... wondering who I could call to "dump" my issues on and thinking OMG what a mess I am to not even have one someone to call when I feel like shit, some one who would just listen and I could rant/vent to, someone who would tell me I'm OK, don't jump off the bridge yet! but couldn't think of anyone... anyway..

 The phone rings, an "unknown caller" on caller ID... So I pick it up. Call goes like this.

Me: Hello?

Caller:  Hello!  Is this Diane?

Me: Yes. Whose calling please?

Caller: This is Ryan. How are you today? (I don't know any Ryan -- by the tone of his voice though I'm figuring this guy is selling something or trying to get a donation or some sort of thing like that...)

Me: Well, my dog was vomiting and had diarrhea for over three weeks, I've been worried sick even though she's better now, I am so stressed, and had a really bad day working today, and you know my husband died and I miss him so much and I feel like I haven't a friend in the world and I am so lonely and really want to just talk to someone...

CLICK  He hung up!

HA HA HA!

Heck, guess that cheered me up more than I imagined.

So if you get a scam phishing call, dump all your problems on them! Worked for me.

But probably wouldn't work on those scam creditor calls, cause creditors have no heart...

On second thought, it might work with creditors --- start talking about dog vomit and diarrhea in detail. Just saying. ha!

Now what to do to stop those irritating robocalls....

6 comments:

Stephany in Iowa said...

I actually look forward to these calls, now that I’ve figured out how to screw with them. Go down the rabbit hole of Christianity....does Jesus know what you’re doing? Go down the rabbit hole of voodoo...I’m gonna put a spell on you. Good luck sleeping tonight!

Go down the rabbit hole of family...does your mother know how you make a living? Go down the rabbit hole of weird...you got this covered!

Diane said...

LOL Stephany! Love it!

Anonymous said...

I agree that those calls are annoying, and typically we just don't pick up if we don't know who's calling. I do remember decades ago though, when summer jobs were very sparse, I had to take on a telemarketing job. Ugh. During the few months I did that job (part-time) no-one ever started talking about their life. I got, "I'm not interested" over and over, or the occasional person saying they would call the police because they had an unlisted number. Anyway, hope you feel better. :) Also glad to hear that Kona is better!!

Lynne in CT

Barb Polan said...

I rarely get calls from numbers I don't (actually my phone doesn't recognize. I've never answered any of them. My husband, however, gets a lot of crap calls, but he often answers because he's waiting for a contractor call-back, etc., and the number's not in his phone. We think, the more often you answer, the more often you get called.

Denise said...

We don't have a landline anymore, and if my cell phone doesn't know you and only displays a number, not a name, I don't answer. I love how you handled that caller, though, and I will use that if I ever accidentally answer a marketing or collection call. Brilliant!

Diane said...

Lynne, poor you, what a terrible job! Almost as bad as being a telephone psychic -- a part-time job I did years ago and everyone just wanted winning lottery numbers! Heck, if I knew those I wouldn't be answering this damn phone! lol

Barb, I know what you mean when you are waiting for a contractor to call...

Denise, I usually don't answer "unknown" callers or number I don't recognize....

Thanks for for your comments!