Total Pageviews

Saturday, March 21, 2020

Sheltering In Place

Yesterday afternoon got the call from the county that everyone should "shelter in place" and no non--essential travel allowed. Beaches closed. Malls, stores closed. Bars, restaurants, closed. Parks closed. Etc.

Went out two days ago, bought every loaf of PetFresh (Kona's food) on the shelf as she is allergic to so many dog foods and this one is one she tolerates, stocked up on cat food -- but the shelves were empty as far as toilet paper, tissues, paper towels, bread, meat....

Went out Friday early in the morning as I heard they were going to start shutting down stores.... worse than when hurricane is coming.. never seen anything like it...  Found one PetFresh for Kona, no toilet paper anywhere (four different stores) found my cigs at a gas station and two rolls of Bounty paper towel, made a stop at the liquor store, as gonna need that...

Bought toilet paper on E-bay for 3 times it's normal price...

Normally, I don't go out that much, do have occasional lunches with friends and a friend and I had concert tickets for Graham Nash which got cancelled and I usually don't mind staying home, as that is a writer's life --- but when you know you can't leave the house unless "essential" ... it's really stressful.....

And feeling horribly alone and lonely....

How is everyone else holding up?

6 comments:

Barb Polan said...

We're OK. My husband goes out to the grocery store, but that's our only "essential," although I had to insist he get extra dog food (we're not hoarders, but I'm realistic). I'm really missing person-to-person, live visits. Our kids (adults who live nearby) visited us yesterday for a walk in our woods. That relieved a lot of my feelings of isolation. We all stayed at least 6 feet apart and just called, "Hug," to each other, as needed.A neighbor friend came over to talk to my husband—one stayed on the ground, the other on the porch, and I got very jealous that he had that interaction.

We're in MA and are just supposed to practice social isolation, so we can go out and about. I'm sure I would feel very lonely too if I had to shelter in place.

Cockeyed Jo said...

Diane, As you know, we're doing fine. The critters have a months worth of food. Sorry about Kona though. She's been through a lot. We've been sheltering in place and we are in lockdwn with only essential services operating only for a week now. We'll holler up the rise to Reynaldo when he's outside. With our next closest neighbor a 1/4 mile away, we're used to the isolation. But then there are two of us in the house. I check in with relatives every week via text, phone, or email. We're busy caring, tending, etc gor the homestead. So in other words it's SOP for us.

Jenn said...

SIP (shelter-in-place) day 3. Feels much longer. Stores were shopped down considerably last week as I think many figured SIP was inevitable. I slowly stocked up on things 3 weeks ago knowing this. Last minute kitty litter and food additions this past Friday. Went grocery shopping for my folks yesterday and was able to get all they needed (toilet paper not on list). Stores will get restocked there as here, just gonna take a little time. Things have slowed down, but there's constant traffic swooshing by on the main road (I can see from my street).
It is very lonely. Shopping was nice - to be with people, who are much nicer than before this all started. I've tons of stuff to do, but feel so weighed down I find myself knitting and just watching t.v., kitties snuggling by my side. *sigh*

Diane said...

Barb, glad you're doing okay.

Jo, I know you guys are used to this (stocking up) so I'm sure you will be okay.

Jenn, I hear ya, was thinking Great time to write!! Or weed the garden. Or organize the drawers and closets but I too find myself watching too much TV snuggled up with dog and cat. I'm counting on Chewy.com for any cat supplies, unfortunately they don't carry Kona's food....

"Rationing" my TP, so weird!!!!! Pull off some then think, Oh I can use less... ga!

Everyone, stay safe! And like Barb, just shout HUGS to each other!


Hugs to you all.

Denise said...

Yeah finding meat has been increasingly difficult. Since my cat only eats raw hamburger I've been giving it all to her (she has lost so many teeth she can't eat the dry food, and a friend of mine who has done cat rescues/fosters for many years warned me that the lining in the cans has BPA which makes cats hyperthyroid, all her cats are on medication).

I realized last night that if I needed a ventilator, I would not even be on the list, much less get one with my medical history (stroke, diabetes, almost 67 years old) and risk factors. It's all on my immune system now, so I'm taking my vitamin C and Zinc and washing my hands a lot more, and sheltering in place. And, of course, hoping for the best.

Diane said...

I hear you, Denise, as much as I love and miss Bob, I am sort of glad he's not having to deal with this.... he'd be in the same boat as you and I'd be worried sick. Take care of yourself.