Total Pageviews

Friday, August 19, 2022

In Memory of a Lovely Couple

Today they laid my Aunt Pauline to rest. My aunt and uncle, Don and Pauline, used to come to Florida to visit with my mom and dad every year for a long time.... And I really got to know them over the years. Don, with his nightly beer and a shot, "is it beer-thirty yet, Diane?" And always so helpful, "can I get that for you?" And Pauline and her love of shopping and her red hat phase! And both of them so kind and compassionate. If you've been a long time reader, you remember them. Especially Pauline, who once thought our house was cursed! ha!  

They were here in 2010 with my mother and father when Bob was in the hospital (in a coma) after "the incident" at The Hospital. I remember Pauline saying to me then, "How do deal with this, Diane? If it were Don, I couldn't deal with it. I wouldn't know what to do without him. I'd be falling apart."

Well, I didn't fall apart only because I believed Bob would survive and he needed me to be strong for him. And he did survive, you know that story.

My Uncle Don died around 5 months ago and Pauline was buried today, exactly 5 months to the date that Don was buried. She couldn't live without him. She didn't know "what to do without him".  She had a stroke and, I guess had no will to fight without Don by her side and -- "fell apart."

That, my friends, is one true love.

I honestly thought, that would be me when Bob died. I would do the "broken heart syndrome", and join Bob soon, and I wanted that so so very much --- but somehow I am still here almost 7 years later. And do wonder why... Wasn't my love true enough? Or perhaps, as my grief counsellor suggested, I have "unfinished business" here.

RIP my dearest Aunt and Uncle. I do imagine you both happily together again.

Don & Pauline on our porch swing


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Diane, for the loving statements about my mom and dad. They are very kind. And my you find comfort in the loss of your dad as well. Rick